Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Newborns

Newborns.  They will knock you right on your tail with all the feels.
When I took the plunge into this photography business, I was anxious to do it all.  I started with what my heart gravitated toward, and that was families.  My passion for capturing family moments just grew and grew.  I devoted all my time to learning and growing in that particular area.   Then came the realization that in order to grow my business, I needed to start expanding.  I started with High School Seniors and then tried weddings and eventually took on the most intimidating newborns.  The thing with newborn photography is that the best photographers out there make it look so darn easy.   There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes with those so perfectly folded up, posed little nuggets.  I tried, i failed, i tried again, i failed again.  My heart wasn't in it, my heart was in the moments.  The real moments, not the perfectly posed ones.  Don't get me wrong,  I have mad respect for newborn photographers, the reason they charge as much as they do, is because it is most definitely worth it.  In this business, you get what you pay for. Mark my words.
So I'm sticking with what I know and love and that is, like i mentioned before, lifestyle and in the moment photography.  Now, i will clarify that if you book a family session or senior session, we are going to get some posed shots.  I am fully aware that most of us come from the "JC Penny Portrait" era and we can't help ourselves from wanting some photos where everyone is looking at the camera and smiling.  So, you will have that. But what you will also have is a gallery with your children snuggling, playing and being themselves.  You will see real smiles and have photos that will take you back to that moment every time you see them.  That is my ultimate goal at your session.

The real point of this post is to talk to you about my new take on those tricky newborns.  Hospital, lifestyle, newborn sessions.  *I'm still trying to figure out a unique name for them*  These sessions are nothing new to the photography world, but I definitely think they are under valued.  
My job is to come into the hospital, 24-48 hours after the arrival of your new little one. This is such a vulnerable and emotional time for the family.  And I promise you, that the memories that are captured from that time, will mean more to you than you could ever imagine.

The moment when big brother gets to hold the baby for the first time.  His excitement and concern.  He has no idea how much his world is about to change but in this moment he is taking his new job very seriously. You can almost see the thoughts going through his head.   That's a moment you can never get back.

And mom, you don't have to be done up in the perfect new outfit.  You need to be real.  Just staring into the eyes of this beautiful blessing.  I can still remember looking into the eyes of my firstborn for the first time.  Nothing else in the world mattered, I was just in awe of this miracle that God created.  


The details... the toes, the fingers, the faces, the hair.  It all changes way too quickly.  Oh how I wish I could go back in time and have these precious details to look at again.  Its the little things that mean the most. 



And dad's.  Sometimes they get overlooked.  There is usually so much going on behind the scenes that dad is taking care of.  Nothing gets me more than this.  A dad and his baby.  Men have a tendency to keep it all inside and not show the emotion that they are really feeling.  But a picture like this shows you exactly what he is feeling.  He has this new little person that he is responsible for raising up.  Dad's have a huge responsibility on their shoulders when it comes to bringing a new life into this world.  Sometimes I think they get overlooked.  Maybe they don't have the ability to feed the baby from their own body but that doesn't mean their role is any less important.   A picture like this is worth million words.


I'd love to capture these moments for you and your family.  Sessions like this remind me why I started in the first place.  If you have questions or concerns, I will walk you through the details, I want nothing more than for this to be an amazing experience for you.

If you or someone you know, in the Akron/Canton area is expecting, May-Aug. 2016 and would be interested in working with me, I am offering these Fresh Baby, in hospital sessions 50% off to 3 families.  The regular price is $225.  These sessions take place in your hospital room, typically 24 hours after the birth of the baby.  They last around an hour and you will receive a gallery of 50+ images with full printing rights.
Email me at LindsaySagephotography@gmail.com for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment